Saturday 17 May 2014

Jem's blog - back from the silence?

I can't quite believe that my last blog was written in 2008. Also that I made spelling mistakes! Shocking.

Well, a fair few things have happened since then. In 2009 I met an extraordinary human being who changed my life, despite only being in it for a little more than 5 months. Kenny was one of life's unique and enigmatic people and whilst the unfairness of his passing will forever cast a shadow, I'm a better person for having known and loved him.

In 2010, despite worsening health, I started my run-from-home business Jem's Gem Box. Initially the ideal was to provide an ultra low cost yet still totally customisable version of the European Charm bracelet systems that had become huge at that time. I had support from my friends and especially from my friend Paul, who allowed me to set up at the kid's play centre he operated in Banbury.

Lots of buying in thousands of bracelets and components and talking; for me, not a problem; I am not shy!

In 2011 as my little business grew, I discovered that I couldn't " just " assemble premanufactured jewellery, but that I could make it myself, from the ground up.

And so I did!!

I've been on a course of metal working and self-taught no end of techniques, learned valuable lessons in trust and even been on tv, and I LOVE IT!

I wish I'd found my passion in earlier life, wish I had had enough faith in myself to do this sooner.

2012 brought us puppies! My son was desperately terrified of dogs, so when my friend Philly's JRT had a litter, I asked if I could bring him over to meet these non-threatening silky bundles of joy and we came out owning our very own tiny JRT. Our Bitsa-breed rescue joined us in January 2013. We have never looked back :-)

In 2013 my health reached a low, with episodes of pleurisy and hospital and I spent weeks in a wheelchair with a mysterious paralysis, but I also battled my PTSD with a fantastic treatment from local practitioner Hector and I now feel mentally stronger than ever before.

In 2014, just a few months ago, my work situation changed and Jem's Gem Box is now my soul source of income and after 20 years in a low-paid and non-creative "day-job" I am now happier than I have ever been with what I do for a living, albeit we have little in the way if disposable income, my wonderful husband continues to support us.

I still love my guitars, my family is the most important "thing" in the world, our pups bring joy and love (and dog hair) into our lives and I continue to learn and grow and develop my jewellery making skill set. Hopefully I will also remember how to blog!!!

Love and light, your Jem xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment